How to select the best backup solution for your business?
42% of companies experienced a data loss event that resulted in downtime last year. That high number is likely caused by the fact that while nearly 90% are backing up the IT components they’re responsible for protecting, only 41% back up daily – leaving many businesses with gaps in the valuable data available for recovery.
Otherwise, even with a fancy solution, blocking ransomware will be a constant struggle. One setback is all it takes to put your business out for good.
When looking for a backup solution for your business there are a number of questions to ask to narrow down the solutions you want to look at.
Here’s what you should be prepared to answer in order to select a backup solution for your business:
- How much downtime can you afford, or how fast do you need to be back up and running? In other words what is your restore time objective (RTO).
- How much data am I willing to lose? In other words what is your restore point objective (RPO). Are you willing to just take daily backups so you have the possibility to lose an entire days’ worth of work or do you need a solution that can do hourly or continuous backup?
- How long do I need to keep historical data? Do you have some compliancy requirements that makes you keep your data for a long time?
- How much data do you have to backup and what type of data/applications do you need to back up?
- How many copies of the data and where do you want to store it? Do you want to do the recommended 3-2-1 backup solution so 3 copies of the data. Do you want to keep all the backups locally, offsite(USB drive or replicated NAS), cloud?
- Then the ultimate question of how much you are willing to spend for a backup solution.
Once you have all of those questions answered then you can look into what solutions fit your into what you are looking for. More than likely once you start looking for solutions that fit your criteria you will have to reevaluate some of the answers to the questions above.